Are you tired of struggling to play your favorite games on your iPad with just touch controls? If so, you may be in the market for a gaming controller. But with so many options available, it can be tough to know which one is the best for your needs.
That’s where I come in! As a gaming-head, I’ve researched the topic and can provide you with a comprehensive guide to the best gaming controller for iPad.
Best Controller for iPad
I tested a number of controllers for iPad but found out the SteelSeries Nimbus+ is the best controller for iPad because it is officially supported by Apple. So here are the 5 best controllers in my opinion:
- SteelSeries Nimbus+ – Top-of-the-line controller with impressive battery life
- Sunwaytek H510 – Affordable option with mechanical switches and lifetime warranty
- Xbox Wireless Controller – Classic Xbox design with low-latency Bluetooth connectivity
- PlayStation DualSense – Sony’s latest and greatest with nuanced haptic feedback
- Rakizbe / Aovon Gaming Triggers – Perfect alternative to expensive gaming controllers
The best gaming controller for the iPad is the SteelSeries Nimbus+. A more immersive gaming experience is provided by its enhanced triggers, which have uniform tension, and its outstanding battery life of up to 50 hours per charge means less time is spent worrying about charging.
I find it very helpful that the tactile click on the directional pad and the clickable buttons under the joysticks increase the controller’s ability to be used as an input device in a variety of games. A wonderful opportunity to try out some new games is the four months of free Apple Arcade that are included with the purchase of this controller.
- Long battery life of up to 50 hours per charge
- Tactile directional pad and clickable joysticks
- Comes with four months of free Apple Arcade
- Officially licensed by Apple for guaranteed compatibility with iPads
- Improved triggers offer uniform tension throughout the full pull
- Pricier than some other gaming controllers for iPad
- No option for wired connectivity if you prefer a wired connection over Bluetooth
The Sunwaytek H510 is an affordable gaming controller offering various customizable features, including swappable keycaps and mechanical switches under the face buttons.
Its rockable unidirectional d-pad and ergonomic grip make it comfortable for long gaming sessions, while its compatibility with both iPad and Windows makes it versatile. This controller also comes with a lifetime warranty, providing peace of mind for users.
However, some users may find that the trigger and button placements are not as intuitive as other controllers.
- Affordable price point
- Mechanical switches for improved button response
- Supports both iOS and Windows platforms
- Ergonomic design with comfortable grip
- Lifetime warranty included
- Limited compatibility with certain games
- Some users report issues with button responsiveness
- No wireless connectivity option
- D-pad design may not be to everyone’s preference.
The Xbox Elite Series 2 Core is a high-end gaming controller designed for serious gamers who want the ultimate customization and control over their gameplay.
Its interchangeable thumbsticks and paddle buttons let you configure the controller to your preferred playstyle, while the adjustable-tension thumbsticks offer better accuracy and control.
The Series 2 Core also has an impressive battery life of up to 40 hours, so you can game for extended periods without worrying about charging. However, this controller comes with a steep price tag and may not be suitable for casual gamers.
- Low-latency Bluetooth wireless connectivity for seamless integration with iPad
- More responsive d-pad for improved gameplay
- 40-hour battery life for extended play sessions
- Ability to remap buttons using the Xbox app for more personalized gameplay
- Familiar layout for Xbox gamers
- May not be as compatible with non-Xbox games
- Higher price point compared to other iPad gaming controllers
Related: How to Play Fortnite on iPad
The Sony DualSense Wireless Controller is a top-of-the-line gaming controller that delivers an immersive gameplay experience, thanks to its advanced haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. Its built-in microphone and speaker add another level of immersion to the gameplay.
The DualSense also has an ergonomic design and a responsive touchpad, making it suitable for a wide range of games. However, its battery life is shorter than other controllers on this list, and its compatibility with iPad is limited.
- Highly advanced haptic feedback technology
- Comfortable and ergonomic design
- Touchpad and microphone features expand input options
- Compatible with iOS and iPadOS
- Offers up to five hours of battery life
- Higher price point than some other options
- Some features, like haptic feedback, may not be supported by all games
- May require additional setup and customization to fully utilize all features
The Rakizbe / Aovon Gaming Triggers for iPad are an affordable and innovative solution for enhancing your gaming experience on an iPad. These triggers attach to the back of your device and provide tactile buttons that can be used in conjunction with touch controls.
They’re compatible with a wide range of games, including PUBG and Call of Duty, and are easy to install and use. However, the triggers may not be suitable for all games, and some users may find that they obscure part of the screen.
- Affordable and compact design
- Easy to install and use
- Compatible with a wide range of games
- Durable and long-lasting
- Allows for improved precision and control
- Limited functionality compared to full controllers
- May not work with certain types of cases or screen protectors
- Requires some adjustment and practice to use effectively
Why we ranked the item SteelSeries Nimbus+ above Sunwaytek H510?
The SteelSeries Nimbus+ and Sunwaytek H510 are both great controllers for iPad, but we ranked the SteelSeries Nimbus+ above the Sunwaytek H510 for several reasons. The SteelSeries Nimbus+ has been officially licensed by Apple, so you can be sure it will work seamlessly with your iPad.
Secondly, the improved triggers on the SteelSeries Nimbus+ offer uniform tension throughout the full pull, providing a more responsive experience.
The battery life of the SteelSeries Nimbus+ is up to 50 hours per charge, compared to the Sunwaytek H510’s 8-10 hours.
The Final Verdict
I know there are a variety of great gaming controllers available for iPad users. The SteelSeries Nimbus+ is a reliable and top-performing controller, while the Sunwaytek H510 offers a great balance between quality and affordability.
The Xbox Wireless Controller and PlayStation DualSense are perfect for those who want a traditional gaming experience. Let us help you reach the final decision through this table.
|Controllers for iPad||Rating||Opinion|
|SteelSeries Nimbus+||9/10||The top-of-the-line controller with improved triggers and an impressive battery life. The tactile click on the directional pad adds to the experience, but the price may be a deterrent for some buyers.|
|Sunwaytek H510||8.5/10||A budget-friendly option that works great on both iPad and Windows, with mechanical switches and a lifetime warranty.|
|Xbox Wireless Controller||8/10||One of the best game controllers on any platform, with low-latency Bluetooth wireless connectivity and the ability to remap buttons using the Xbox app. Perfect for Xbox gamers.|
|PlayStation DualSense||7.5/10||With official support added in iPadOS 14, the DualSense allows an immersive experience of haptic feedback. However, battery life could be better.|
|Rakizbe / Aovon Gaming Triggers||7/10||Ergonomically designed gaming triggers which act like gaming controller for iPad. A highly budget friendly option for those who can’t afford expensive gaming controllers from Xbox or PS.|
Ernests is passionate about technology and its potential to enhance productivity. They are dedicated to sharing their knowledge and insights with blog readers. As a user of iPad Pro, iPhone, MacBook, and Apple Watch, Ernests possesses expertise in these devices and strives to create informative content focused on these topics.