Last Updated on May 3, 2022 by Ernest
In recent times, with the advancement of technology and the increase of dependency upon them. It is your iPhone or iPad, or MacBook where you keep all your essential documents and information, such as passwords, photos, contacts, and many more, safely.
But, what if you have lost your iPhone or iPad or MacBook? No need to panic. You can easily find your lost Apple devices using the Find My feature available on iCloud. You can find all devices connected to the Apple ecosystem by utilizing this feature.
What is the Find My feature?
The “Find My” feature of the Apple ecosystem has been available for a long time and has proved to be helpful in finding the lost Apple devices such as iPhones, iPads, and MacBooks, and even you can find your devices such as AirPods, Apple Watch, and AirTags.
The feature helps in tracking the device’s location and is not bounded by the Apple ecosystem only. You can track the location of your lost device even from a non-Apple device such as a Windows PC or an Android smartphone. You only need to log in to your iCloud account on any device, and there you go. You are ready to track down and find your device.
Various other features, such as playing a sound, mark as lost, remote erase, along with the tracking of location, are also available in the Find My feature of the iCloud.
Curious about how you can track the location of your lost iPhone or iPad or MacBook? Scroll down to learn about the whole process so that you can find out your lost device and reunite with it.
Finding the Lost iPhone, iPad, or MacBook using iCloud.
Now that you know about the Find My feature provided by iCloud, let us now see how you can track down your lost iPhone using this feature. The steps are as follows:
- Open any browser such as Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Safari, or any other available on your device, be it a Windows PC, any Android smartphone, or any MacBook, and type iCloud.com in the search box.
- Now log in to the iCloud using your credentials.
- Go to the Find My iPhone option and then click on All Devices located at the center of the top of the menu.
Now you will see a list of the connected devices which you can keep track of. Select the device’s name from the drop-down menu and click the ok button.
Note: If the device is trackable, it will appear on the map, and you can see where it is kept. If the device is not trackable, you will see “offline” under the device’s name.
However, the last known location is displayed for up to 24 hours. You can select the “Notify me when found” option so that you receive a mail whenever the location of the device is turned on again.
- If the device’s location is very nearer, or you have misplaced it somewhere in your house only or at your workplace. You can simply tap on the “Play Sound” option present near your device’s name, and the device will start ringing so that you can figure out where the sound is coming from and find it out.
- If the device’s location is far away, then another helpful feature that you can use is “Lost Mode.” Using this feature, you can type your phone number and write a custom message to be displayed on the lost device so that the person who has found it can contact you immediately.
How To Mark Your Device as Lost, or How to Turn on Lost Mode?
The “Lost Mode” comes with many options, such as displaying your contact information and some custom message on the device’s screen. But, to use these features, you need to turn on the Lost Mode first.
Enabling the “Lost Mode” asks you to set up a password for your device if you haven’t set up one earlier. For Mac, you will have to create a numerical password that will be different from the ones set up earlier, which you can use only when you mark your device as lost.
Also, marking the device as lost disables all the cards set up for Apple pay or are added to the wallet.
Let us see how you can turn on the lost mode and use the extra features.
- To turn on the lost mode, open the Find My app and choose the device.
- Scroll down to “Lost mode” or “Mark as Lost” and click on Activate or Enable for an iPhone or iPad and Lock for Mac.
What To Do When the Device’s Location Is Not Updated?
If the lost device is not connected to the internet for more than 24 hours, the device’s location does not get updated. There may be a chance that you cannot find your lost device in this situation.
So now, you need to safeguard the available information on your device. For this, you can erase all the data present on your device using the “Erase device” option. When you use this option, all your information, including your credit and debit card credentials, is deleted from the device and cannot be recovered back.
Let us see how you can erase the data on your device.
- Open the Find My app.
- Select the device.
- Scroll down and choose the “Erase this Device” option.
- Select the “Erase this device” button and click on “Continue” to erase the device completely.
If you have lost your beloved iPhone, iPad, or MacBook, you can surely use the methods mentioned above to track and find your lost device and safeguard the data present on your device.
Besides tracking iPhone, iPad, or MacBook, you can also track your lost devices such as Apple Watch, AirPods, and many more. All you need to do is select the desired device, and you are good to go. I hope the above article helped you find your lost iPhone, iPad, or MacBook and make your Apple devices a whole lot easier to manage.
You might want to read:
What are the use cases for old tablets
I love tech and all about it. I'm interested in finding ways how they can make my life more productive, and I share my knowledge with my blog readers. I'm an iPad Pro, iPhone, MacBook, and Apple Watch user, so I know a thing or two about these devices and try to write helpful content around these topics.